Monday, June 28, 2010

Faux Salmon



About the picture: Used Gimp to add Maple leaves to the bowl. I do NOT recommend serving it with actual Maple Leaves! ;)

To get a good Faux Salmon,  Kelp powder works the best. However, what if you lack Kelp powder?
I had looked all over and really couldn't find any good faux salmon recipes of the type I was looking for. I used Nori broken into as tiny of a piece I could muster.


Some pieces were larger than intended, but it still tasted great! For those of you who have Kelp powder, 2 tsp. does work, according to most other recipes I've looked at. I'd mix it in the lemon juice. However, I never tried Kelp powder myself, as I can never afford it when I do get to the Organic Store that carries it. Notice, I do not include the rectangular Nori pieces in my image above. I completely forgot to cut them up! Sorry! I was also out of Strawberries. I will replace the image some day, and this paragraph along with it. ;)

1 pkg. Tofu extra firm, drained,  cut into 9 slices
1 Nori sheet, torn into small pieces (the smaller the better)
1-2 Nori sheets cut into rectangles, a little larger on all sides then the Tofu slices.
2 Fresh Lemons, sliced into 8ths.
2 TB soy sauce
3 Peppercorn blend:  green, white and black; grinded.
Olive Oil for frying
Optional: Parsley sprigs - Fresh, not grounded!

Optional:
9 large Strawberries, sliced
4 large Strawberries finely chopped in juice

For the BEST Flavor, one would actually soak the tofu in lemon juice and nori for 24 hours. I'd put Nori in a container, the tofu on top, and then pour lemon juice over that. One can even put fresh cracked pepper on top. But what if you don't have that luxury? Below instructions, reflect what I did for supper in a quick.

1)  Fry the Tofu slices in Olive Oil on high heat, on both sides, until golden.
2)  In a bowl, squeeze the juice out of the 7 slices of lemon, and scoop out the lemon filling.
3)  Grind lots of the Peppercorn blend into the bowl and combine with the Soy Sauce, Nori pieces and lemon juice.
4) Optional: Add the 4 finely chopped strawberries and juice to the Tofu.
5)  Prick the Tofu with a fork. Pour the Sauce mixture over the Tofu.
6)  Simmer for 5 minutes.

To Serve:
7) Place the rectangular Nori sheets on the serving plate.
8) Place one Faux Salmon on each Nori sheet.
9) Place 1 lemon slice on each Faux Salmon.
10) Grind more peppercorn on top of each lemon/ faux salmon.
11) Optionally, add 1 strawberry, sliced and fanned out next to each lemon slice.
12) Place one sprig of Parsley on each Faux Salmon slice.



Copyright by Kytriya, June 28, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment